Further research focused on augmented nano weapons was conducted on subjects from project "Titan", giving rise to this terrible instrument of war. Dread is a formidable foe, spreading fear into the hearts of human soldiers all over the world.
Dread is a type of mutant, also known as Reaper. It is red and armed with a pair of metal claws called Nano Knife. LMB gives off a fast slash and RMB gives an "X" pattern slash,both its left click and right click attacks are extremely fast compared to the Slug. This mutant has more health than the Slug mutant, The Dread character also has a default ability of increased speed for 500 HP at any level of mutation, but with all the ups of this mutant, it receives a much further knock-back than all other mutants which makes it much easier to pin the Dread to a corner.
The more the Dread gets powerful, the more agile it becomes. Its [G Skill] can give him a temporary Adrenaline Boost, making it run faster and jump higher. If it reaches Berserker (level 2) in a short period of time, it can be a bigger threat and capable to be the Hard-Carry for the Mutants.
How to counter
MG, SMG and Camo weapons are the best for dealing with these mutants. Also, players could use their VIP weapons such as the RPK Infernal Dragon and Thompson Infernal Dragon to hold off mutants much longer and using their VIP melees such as the Kukri Beast could be useful if they are being chased by mutants and running parkour (only if they don't stop running when the time runs out.)
Dread 2.0 is the new version of Dread, replaced the old Dread. Recently available in following versions:
- CF China
- CF Vietnam
- CF Europe
- CF North America
- CF Brazil
- CF Philippines
- Dread is the default mutant for the zombies on the Asian version of CrossFire with the default mutant for the American version being there upgrade version. In the NA version, it costs 1200 ZP to rent the Dread character for 7 days.
- In CF China, Dread have a slow slash attack, similar to Slug, while other CF versions feature faster slash attack. This makes Dread very dangerous in Hero Mode X, where they can easily drain all Commando's HP in a few seconds. In CF Vietnam and CF Philippines, Dread features fast slash attack at normal/berserk but slow slash attack at Titan level, seemingly making it less effective when reaching Titan level.
- Strangely , after a recent patch for some Crossfire region , the Host Dread "wing" is removed for unknown reason.
- In CF China, Dread is called "Red Biochemical Ghosts", or simply just called "Biochemical Ghosts", this is mostly became a habit as they're never been given a own unique name up to now. This is because at the first time when Mutation Mode released in China, only Dread is playable, and it's still the most widely used mutant character since it's owned by default.
- So, if someone said "Mutants" without point out the exact character in China, the "Mutants" they said is always been considered just "Dreads" by tradition.
- Even though the Dread 2.0 has three claws, when the user scratches any surface, it will still show two claw marks instead of three (just like the Old Dread).
- The old Dread version still can be seen in Challenge Mode.
- Dread is the first mutant to get a new character model, with the Maiden being the second.