Further research focused on augmented nano weapons was conducted on subjects from project "Titan", giving rise to this terrible instrument of war. Dread is a formidable foe, spreading fear into the hearts of human soldiers all over the world.
Dread is another type of mutant, sometimes it is called as Reaper. It is red and armed with a pair of metal claws called Nano Knife. Left-click gives off a fast slash and Right-click gives an "X" pattern slash,both its left click and right click attacks are extremely fast compared to the Slug. This mutant has more health than the Slug mutant, The Dread character also has a default ability of increased speed for 500 HP at any level of mutation, but with all the ups of this mutant, it receives a much further knock-back than all other mutants which makes it much easier to pin the Dread to a corner. MG, SMG and Camo weapons are the best for dealing with these mutants. Also the players handling their V.I.P weapons could be useful if they want to survive the attack also using their V.I.P Kukri could be useful if they are chasing against mutants and running parkour (only if they don't stop running when the time runs out.)
The more the Dread gets powerful, the more agile it becomes. Its [G Skill] can give him a temporary Adrenaline Boost, making it run faster and jump higher. If it reaches Berserker (level 2) in a short period of time, it can be a bigger threat and capable to be the Hard-Carry for the Mutants.
- Dread is the default mutant for the zombies on the Asian version of CrossFire with the default mutant for the American version being there upgrade version. In the NA version, it costs 1200 ZP to rent the Dread character for 7 days.
- In CF China, Dread have a slow slash attack, similar to Slug, while other CF versions feature faster slash attack. This makes Dread very dangerous in Hero Mode X, where they can easily drain all Commando's HP in a few seconds. In CF Vietnam and CF Philippines, Dread features fast slash attack at normal/berserk but slow slash attack at Titan level, seemingly making him less effective when reaching Titan level.
- Strangely , after a recent patch for some Crossfire region , the Host Dread "wing" is removed for unknown reason.
- Recently CF China, CF Vietnam and CF Europe upgraded the old Dread version to the 2.0 version. The old Dread version still can be seen in Challenge Mode.
- In CF China, Dread is called "Red Biochemical Ghosts", or simply just called "Biochemical Ghosts", this is mostly became a habit as they're never been given a own unique name up to now. This is because at the first time when Mutation Mode released in China, only Dread is playable, and it's still the most widely used mutant character since it's owned by default.
- So, if someone said "Mutants" without point out the exact character in China, the "Mutants" they said is always been considered just "Dreads" by tradition.
Dread 2.0 is the new version of Dread, replaced the old Dread. Recently available in following versions:
- CF China
- CF Vietnam
- CF Europe
- CF North America
- CF Brazil
- CF Philippines