M16 is one of the starting weapon for all players in CrossFire.
The M16 is unlocked by default and is available from the very start without the need to purchase it (except CF Japan where you have to choose start weapon from the list: AK-74, M16, Steyr AUG A1, M700, SVD, XM1014). M16, as a basic rifle, cannot be sold. The M16 has low damage for a rifle and usually requires 4 shots to the chest to kill. This is not easy to do because of the M16's lack of stability. The recoil is random and even when single-shooting, the weapon may occasionally kick diagonally upwards. The weapon has a slow rate of fire and is often defeated by SMGs in close combat.
The M16 is a good training weapon, teaching players to be more patient and make their shots count. However, the M16 fails at practical use and is outclassed by every other rifle in game. Fortunately, if used with enough skill & determination, M16 can easily defeat some famous guns such as AK47.
Spray at close range, burst or single shot at medium range, single shot at long range. Firing while crouching is recommended to further stabilize the weapon. Spraying while crouching usually gets at least the first 2 shots to hit the enemy. Never spray at longer ranges, as the recoil is random and tends to shoot diagonally when spraying.
- Easy to control.
- High accuracy for a default gun.
- Better power than M4A1.
- Default gun.
- Still good without repair.
- Fast drawing speed.
- Medium recoil.
- Medium reload time.
- Low fire speed than M4A1.
- Impossible to sell as GP. (some version only.)
- Originally, in some version (such as Vietnam), M16 was fully named as Colt M16A1, which could be seen when choosing it in Bags during a game. However, after some update, the name was simply M16.
- CF Japan is the only version players can obtain this gun freely by exchanging 30 coupons (14d). It's also the only way to obtain a temp. M16, something other CF versions don't have the ability to.
- This is the only weapon from the early years that could not be sold for GP, unlike M700. However, some players managed to "destroy" this weapon by using a bug. It has been fixed quitely afterwards.
- M16A1 was the primary US rifle of the Vietnam War and one of the most famous guns in the world. The most likely reason CrossFire chose the M16 as the starting gun is because it was one of the first assault rifles ever developed, alongside the AK-47. Some armies and rebel groups today still use the M16 in its original form.
- This gun is featured as "best" prize for the Practice Mode in Capsule Shop. Players will always win 3 of them and the rest of the wheel will be full of M16s, and as suggested by the mode's name, no prize was actually given. Unavailable after the Capsule Shop was replaced with New Black Market.
- With the release of the Newbie Weapon Package system, the M16, along with M700, is no longer obtainable upon creating account. Veteran players who got this gun in their storage prior to the update will still get to keep it, but otherwise it's unobtainable to all new players.
- In CF China after August 31, 2017, M16 is no longer given as a basic weapon to new players, but players can buy one in Item Shop with 9000 GP.
- In CF Europe on 1st November's patch, it followed CF China's system to reward newer players much better weapons than just M16. For this reason, the M16 is no longer obtainable.
- In CF Indonesia after the "Next Generation" update, only veteran players who registered themselves in the "Veteran Reward" event that will be able to keep this gun in their inventory permanently.