Mutants are special characters in CrossFire, available in Mutation Mode and all of its variants.
- Mutants - CF North America and CF Brazil
- Biochemical Ghosts - CF China
- Zombies - Most versions
All mutants represent players in a room that are chosen as host mutants or infected by other mutants. They have very high HP, allowing them to take a lot of hit, but can only use melee attack to infect other soldiers. When getting shot at, mutants will be knocked back (MM/HM) or slowed down on their track (HMX/MKM), making it harder for them to reach Soldiers.
Each mutant has their own special skill, activated by pressing G. Infected/respawn mutants (Except Xeno/Havoc) starts at level 0 and must earn evolve point by infecting other soldiers, getting hit (Hero Mode) or absorb point from other dead mutants. Once a mutant reach Berserk level (2), they gain 2000 more HP and can start using special skill (Cost 500 HP each). Reaching Titan level (5) nets them another 2000 HP.
|Mutants||Names / Skills||Information|
|Mutants||Default mutant in the North American version. While his attack are slower, it has a longer reach than the Dread mutants.|
|Dreads||Default mutant in every other versions. As the very first mutant ever designed, in first person; it's simply a human with claws.|
|Maiden||Mutated woman nurse with partial invisibility abilities as well as being able to jump higher than most other mutants in the game.|
|High Jump / Partial Invisibility|
|Smoke||Mutated general officer with a mechanical backpack merged to his body, used to spew out smoke screens to blind soldiers.|
|Black Smoke Screen|
|Assassins||A cunning mutant who managed to aqcuire special repulse grenades which disrupt the position of soldiers.|
|Enchantress||Reanimated corpse seeking for life essences. She acts fairly similar to Maidens, but jumps way higher using her skill.|
|High Jump / Higher Jump.|
|Mutation Spike||A melee weapons that every mutants can use for a faster attack and longer reach. Gives out double evolution points.|
|Mutation Jacket||A special jacket that give soldiers an additional shot before getting infected. Also give extra armor points to mutants.|
|Knock Back Reduce||An item that reduce the stun and knock back effects on mutants, but they might have a hard time to escape.|
- When a mutant reaches 500 health point or below, it will start flashing red light.
- In CF China, 生化幽灵("Biochemical Ghost") is considered as a euphemistically description of 僵尸("Zombie").
- One interesting fact is that Giant Dreads in Challenge Mode is incorrectly called 大型红色僵尸(Giant Red Zombie), it's most likely to be a mistake, as it's the only one who named zombie.
- The name may also refence to 幽灵("Ghost") in Ghost Mode, while in the first crossfire CG (The last scene in the second video), a ghost turns into Slug by biochemical effect, which explains why they called "biochemical ghost".
- Another reason why these mutants don't called zombie is that, they look quite different from the typical zombies in most zombie-theme video games and movies, they're more likely to be an advanced biochemical creatures instead of normal zombies who slowly wandering around, while 僵尸 in Chinese means stiff bodies.
- Another call of "zombie" is 丧尸, which mostly used to describe western-styled zombies in video games and movies, they are a kind of zombies that were not "stiffed" and some of them can even run fast just like normal people.