| "A small handheld weapon that is designed to be thrown. It generates a smoke screen that disguises a player's location or confuses enemies."|
- in-game description
A handy canister filled with chemicals that will emit blinding smoke when it is set off. Excellent for cover.
Smoke Grenade is a kind of throwing weapon available in Crossfire.
Smoke Grenade, as the name implies, when landing after thrown, the smoke grenade will release a cloud of smoke after a few seconds of fuze time.
Smoke Grenade is commonly used in Ghost Mode, since you can see the silhouette of the ghosts. Smoke Grenade also is used in Escape Mode to cover the (escape and movement of the) Black List team. Smoke Grenade is also commonly used in S&D mode (and variants) to disorient enemies, especially snipers, and let you and/or your teammates to rushing to the enemy's base, or to cover the bomb (even though there is chance that a GR member will sneak in and defuse the bomb).
It should be noted that hiding in smoke is not always a good idea, as an expert players maybe will try to shoot a few rounds there to check out if the enemy is hiding in there. However, Smoke Grenade can be used to distracting the enemy (e.x: throwing the Smoke Grenade to somewhere while you're hiding near there to make a suprise attack, as the enemy would likely looking or checking at the smoke).
A large problem that should be noted is how smoke grenades are ineffective when playing a Team Deathmatch mode on a small maps like Ship or Egypt. It will disorient snipers on both sides and will not allow a good view of the enemy positions, unless they are in the smoke themselves.
In Mutation Mode & variants, some dirty players tend to use smoke grenade to cover soldiers' camping positions, causing them to not visually see or detect incoming mutants, unless if they're equipped with smoke reduction items or a skilled character like SPOP-X or Ngọc Trinh. In Challenge Mode and AI Bot Mode, the Smoke Grenade is completely useless as AIs can still see you in smoke and attack normally, also same for the Flashbang.
- Available in all CF versions.
- The model of the Smoke Grenade used in Crossfire bears a very-close resemblance to AN M18 Colored Smoke Grenade made by the United States.
- It's confirmed that Crossfire is using AN M18 Colored Smoke Grenade as the base model for Smoke Grenade (and variants) as some of them now has been named M18 Grenade in some versions (for example: Smoke Grenade-Gold Phoenix is named as M18 Grenade-Phoenix in CF Vietnam).
- However, the removed FireBomb grenade is based on AN M14 instead.
- In some versions like VN or RU, the HUD of this grenade (and its variants) is same with Flashbang while in other versions, it been zoomed in a little bit which make it slightly bigger due to the HUD of characters' arm. Interestingly, its Battle Royale mode is zoomed in, as it's separated from the normal variant (even though there's no different between both).