Sub-machine Gun (or SMG) is an automatic carbine designed to fire pistol cartridges. They are primarily used by police forces and some military special forces because of their small size, light profile, and pistol caliber bullets that are less likely to over-penetrate objects and cause unintentional injuries to innocent bystanders in combat.
Submachine guns are classified as primary weapons in CrossFire. They generally have a high firing rate, moderate accuracy, low to medium damage, light weight, and medium or high ammo capacity. They are chambered in different pistol calibers, and vary in size and shape (some are also considered as Personal Defense Weapon, which has compact size as well as enough stopping power like P90).
SMGs are the common weapons for new soldiers, because most of the sub-machine guns are usually cheap and have low rank requirements, or even no rank requirements at all. Experienced players often use them for run-and-gun tactics or simply rushing at enemies & drying out the entire magazine.
SMGs are powerful when used in close range due to their high rate-of-fire. However they tend to lose their accuracy and power with distance. Some submachine guns also have poor accuracy, and combined with their high firing rate, their long range accuracy is almost non-existent.
Submachine guns are primarily used for rushing enemy forces, where they can best utilize their light weight and rapid fire rate to quickly get near opponents and shower them with lead at close quarters.
SMGs are generally at a disadvantage when facing assault rifles and sniper rifles at long range, but expert usage from professional players can negate this.
Certain SMGs utilize JHP ammo, which tag enemies and slow down their running speed upon successful hits. It makes them very dangerous in close to medium distance, giving their opponents almost zero chance to run away. Also, some SMGs using rifle cartridge like Micro Galil (5.56x45mm NATO) has good damage dealing (though still weaker than most rifles).
- Machine Pistols (Uzi, TMP, etc) and Personal Defense Weapons (Kinetics CPW, P90, MP7, etc.) should also be classified as SMGs. However, there are non-SMGs which are categorized as SMGs and vice-versa by CrossFire.
- Micro GALIL is actually an Assault Rifle which is categorized as an SMG.
- XM177 is actually an Assault Rifle which is categorized as an SMG.
- SR-3M is actually an Assault Rifle which is categorized as an SMG.
- Ingram MAC-10 is actually an SMG which is categorized as a Handgun.
- AR-57 is actually an SMG which is categorized as an Assault Rifle.
- K1A is technically an Assault Rifle which is categorized as an SMG . However, K1A's case is acceptable because South Korea's government classifies K1A as SMG while the rest of other countries mostly considered its as carbine or assault rifle. See here.
- All submachine guns in CF incorrectly eject rifle casings while firing. This is because CrossFire has only one type of bullet casing model for ejecting shells (a 5.56x45mm casing to be exact).
- Submachine gun at Wikipedia.